Winter has made a bold appearance! The season of hot cocoa, cozy blankets and Netflix reruns is upon us. As with everything, these nostalgic postcard moments also come with their own set of challenges … drier, more irritable eyes due to the shift in climate along with the heating systems in our homes and public spaces.
It’s remarkable how Mother Nature provides nearly all of the remedies for our ailments. This month’s featured product is plant-based, bold smelling and extensive in its usage. It provides relief for nearly all of the eye irritations we’ve covered so far. Hello, tea tree oil!
Why is TTO effective?
Tea Tree Oil’s remarkable medicinal properties:
- Antiprotozoal / Acaricidal (demodex)
Tea Tree Oil for the eyes
TTO can be used for:
- Demodex infestations: with both antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects, tea tree oil has been effective in getting rid of mites.
- Eyelid cleansers: as a gentler way of removing impurities and makeup.
What is Demodex and why does it require treatment?
Demodex blepharitis refers to a common form of blepharitis that involves a Demodex mite infestation. It is typically characterized by eye itching, burning, dryness, irritation, or watering; patients may also experience blurry vision or the sensation of heavy eyelids.
Demodex should not be left untreated! Of all the treatment options investigated, tea tree oil has been shown to be the most effective remedy for killing Demodex mites.
Don’t leave your ailment untreated. Be sure to consult with your eye doctor for the right diagnosis if you have irritable eyes this winter. The Eye Drop Shop offers Blephadex wipes and a cleanser with tea tree oil to treat your blepharitis!
To keep your eyes hydrated, clean and nourished this winter, shop our bestsellers :).
Xo The Eye Drop Shop Team
1. Pazyar, N., Yaghoobi, R., Bagherani, N. and Kazerouni, A. (2013), A review of applications of tea tree oil in dermatology. Int J Dermatol, 52: 784–790. doi:10.1111/j.1365-4632.2012.05654.x
3. Cheng AM, Sheha H, Tseng SC. Recent advances on ocular Demodex infestation. Current Opinion in Ophthalmology 2015;26(4):295‐300.
4. Amescua G, Akpek EK, Farid M, Garcia‐Ferrer FJ, Lin A, Rhee MK, et al. Blepharitis Preferred Practice Pattern. Ophthalmology 2019;26(1):P56‐93.
5. Liu J, Sheha H, Tseng SC. Pathogenic role of Demodex mites in blepharitis. Current Opinion in Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2010;10(5):505‐10.
Do Contact Lenses Dry Your Eyes?
What Makes a Good Eye Drop?
There is an overwhelming amount of eye drops in the market. In this blog, we break down ingredients for a good eye drop for your dry eyes!
Leave a comment
Eileen O'Connor said:
Blephaclean eyelid wipes were a real help in clearing my eye problem along with recommended drops. Gentle, non-messy. The packets a little hard to tear open with stiff fingers.